We are a technology company working on digitalizing international trading, and the first digital freight forwarding company in Japan. We are building a multi-sided digital platform which allows both customers (importer/exporter) and operators to efficiently and fluidly process international trade workflows, which are today processed mostly through human labor. Our platform currently covers freight forwarding and we are aiming to expand our coverage throughout the international trade supply chain.
At Shippio we are focused on revolutionizing the legacy industry of logistics. We plan to do away with the old way of tracking things on paper and by hand with a centralized platform that provides an easy to use dashboard for automatic data entry and document generation.
Our core values
- Be courageous and decisive. Don’t be afraid to take on challenges and don’t let precedent stand in the way of accomplishing goals
- Strive for greatness. Accept constructive criticism and be willing to continually improve yourself.
- Believe in your fellow crewmates. Enjoy developing as a team. Help team members grow and learn from them.
Our response to COVID-19
We had been working three days remotely per week, but due to COVID-19, we’ve moved to full remote for an undetermined time (employees are still free to go to the office if needed though). We provided masks to every employee in March (more than 100 masks per employee) and have a stock of boxes from which employees are free to take as needed.
About the position
Shippio is a simulation of our real world business, and we need to make this simulation as close to the reality as possible. Here comes in the architect! You will be tasked to create the different models (e.g. ERD, database) for our applications, based on our business requirements, and help us figure out the technologies best suited for the needs of our model and business.
You will also design and develop our applications service infrastructure (currently in Ruby) in collaboration with project managers, designers, and front-end engineers.
- 2+ years of experience in Back-End application development, and interest in Ruby
- Knowledge of UML or any other language to describe a model
- Synthetic mind, able to quickly grasp the essence of our business and translate it into a model
- Challenger, making small changes having huge impacts
- Good intra and inter-team communication skills
- Located in Japan
- Valid work authorization or eligibility to obtain it
- Communication skills in Japanese are highly appreciated
- Experience with GraphQL
- DevOps skills are more than welcomed
- Intellectually curious and eager to take on new challenges
- Interested in working on B2B development by leveraging your own development experience
Our Current Stack
We have a Ruby + RoR Back-End, deployed on AWS, we use GraphQL for API manipulation and our Front End is in React.js. However we are always looking for opportunities to use new technologies and languages so we would be happy to hear about your favourite technological stack!