SmartNews is a news app with 20 million monthly active users in the U.S. and Japan. We are a machine-learning company deeply committed to helping users find quality news beyond the filter bubble.
Our algorithms evaluate tens of millions of articles, behaviors and social interactions to deliver only the most interesting and important stories on a global scale — a fascinating engineering challenge that has attracted a world-class data science and engineering team.
Join our international culture — smart work, smart people and a global mission to bring quality information to the world. Our perks include offering you a free healthy lunch, delicious coffee provided by our in-house barista, and financial support towards language-learning.
We don’t require Japanese ability, and welcome people looking to relocate to Japan.
Our response to COVID-19
Our user base is increasing quickly due to people’s interest in news (COVID and non-COVID related), and so we’re still hiring. If you’re abroad looking to relocate to Japan, we’re still interested. If you’re based in China or US, we can initially hire you with our local branches there, and then transfer you here in the future. If you’re based in another location, we’ll initially hire you as a remote contractor.
For our existing employees, in response to the situation, we’re having everyone work remotely for the time being.
About the position
Every day, SmartNews analyzes millions of URLs to deliver most engaging articles of high quality in near-real time to millions of users around the world. Our News Ranking team, along with our AI Foundation team, works on a range of recommendation and optimization problems, e.g. search ranking, collaborative filtering, personalized recommendation, diversification to deliver the world’s quality information to the people who need it.
This is a hybrid of system engineering and machine learning role:
- Write server-side production code for applications that are robust and efficient
- Develop machine learning algorithms, combining with rule-based optimization to deliver improvement in product metrics
- Build recommendation and ranking algorithms for news articles
- Develop internal analytics tools
- Rapid prototyping
- 2+ yrs. experience in designing and implementing machine learning algorithms, and applying them to real world problems
- Solid Machine Learning background and deep understanding of certain domain of machine learning techniques, especially in natural language processing, recommendation systems, computer visions
- Solid software development skills with proven record of shipping changes to production that improved product metrics with machine learning technologies
- Good written and spoken communication skills, can work across functional teams
- Expert coding abilities in multiple programming languages (e.g. Java, C++, Python, Scala)
- MS or BS in computer science, mathematics, physics or other quantitative fields
- Experience with cloud based architecture (e.g. Amazon Web Services)
- Strong interest in news media and our mission