SmartNews is a news app with 20 million monthly active users in the U.S. and Japan. We are a machine-learning company deeply committed to helping users find quality news beyond the filter bubble.
Our algorithms evaluate tens of millions of articles, behaviors and social interactions to deliver only the most interesting and important stories on a global scale — a fascinating engineering challenge that has attracted a world-class data science and engineering team.
Join our international culture — smart work, smart people and a global mission to bring quality information to the world. Our perks include offering you a free healthy lunch, delicious coffee provided by our in-house barista, and financial support towards language-learning.
We don’t require Japanese ability, and welcome people looking to relocate to Japan.
Our response to COVID-19
Our user base is increasing quickly due to people’s interest in news (COVID and non-COVID related), and so we’re still hiring. If you’re abroad looking to relocate to Japan, we’re still interested. If you’re based in China or US, we can initially hire you with our local branches there, and then transfer you here in the future. If you’re based in another location, we’ll initially hire you as a remote contractor.
For our existing employees, in response to the situation, we’re having everyone work remotely for the time being.
About the position
Our Ads Product team is a full-stack engineering team building user-facing features and advertiser facing features for the millions of users and thousands of advertisers we already serve.
- Own E2E product feature development of SmartNews ad platform.
- Deeply understand advertisers’ demands and build a roadmap together with product leads.
- Set team goals each quarter, develop team plans, and play an active role in team building.
- Make strong partnership with product teams and global ads engineering teams distributed in Shanghai, Tokyo, and the Bay Area.
- Business-level Japanese ability
- 3+ years of experience in developing consumer applications or B2B applications
- Able to build a strong team through hiring, as well as mentoring/growing engineers by constantly challenging them with solid support
- Experience in leading cross team/cross org projects/initiatives
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- MS or BS in computer science, mathematics, physics or other quantitative fields
- Experience with cloud based architecture (e.g. Amazon Web Services)
- Strong interest in delivering E2E Impact
- Direct experience in the ads industry