SmartNews is a news app with 20 million monthly active users in the U.S. and Japan. We are a machine-learning company deeply committed to helping users find quality news beyond the filter bubble.
Our algorithms evaluate tens of millions of articles, behaviors and social interactions to deliver only the most interesting and important stories on a global scale — a fascinating engineering challenge that has attracted a world-class data science and engineering team.
Join our international culture — smart work, smart people and a global mission to bring quality information to the world. Our perks include offering you a free healthy lunch, delicious coffee provided by our in-house barista, and financial support towards language-learning.
We don’t require Japanese ability, and welcome people looking to relocate to Japan.
Our response to COVID-19
Our user base is increasing quickly due to people’s interest in news (COVID and non-COVID related), and so we’re still hiring. If you’re abroad looking to relocate to Japan, we’re still interested. If you’re based in China or US, we can initially hire you with our local branches there, and then transfer you here in the future. If you’re based in another location, we’ll initially hire you as a remote contractor.
For our existing employees, in response to the situation, we’re having everyone work remotely for the time being.
About the position
Our Engagement team is a full stack team leading the development of product features. Together with product managers, you will own E2E development of new feature development of SmartNews App.
- Own E2E product feature development of SmartNews Feature Development
- Understand user’s needs
- Set team goals each quarterly, develop team plans, and play an active role in team building.
- Make a strong partnership with product teams and global engineering teams distributed in Shanghai/Tokyo/Bay Area
- 3+ years of experience in developing consumer applications or B2B applications
- Able to build a strong team through hiring, as well as mentoring/growing engineers by constantly challenging them with solid support
- Experience in leading cross team/cross org projects/initiatives
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Strong interest in delivering E2E Impact
- Experience with cloud based architecture (e.g. Amazon Web Services)
- Business Level Japanese
- Direct experience in the ads industry
- Have experience working together with distributed engineering/product teams.
- MS or BS in computer science, mathematics, physics or other quantitative fields