SmartNews is a news app with 20 million monthly active users in the U.S. and Japan. We are a machine-learning company deeply committed to helping users find quality news beyond the filter bubble.
Our algorithms evaluate tens of millions of articles, behaviors and social interactions to deliver only the most interesting and important stories on a global scale — a fascinating engineering challenge that has attracted a world-class data science and engineering team.
Join our international culture — smart work, smart people and a global mission to bring quality information to the world. Our perks include offering you a free healthy lunch, delicious coffee provided by our in-house barista, and financial support towards language-learning.
We don’t require Japanese ability, and welcome people looking to relocate to Japan.
Our response to COVID-19
Our user base is increasing quickly due to people’s interest in news (COVID and non-COVID related), and so we’re still hiring. If you’re abroad looking to relocate to Japan, we’re still interested. If you’re based in China or US, we can initially hire you with our local branches there, and then transfer you here in the future. If you’re based in another location, we’ll initially hire you as a remote contractor.
For our existing employees, in response to the situation, we’re having everyone work remotely for the time being.
About the position
Every day, SmartNews analyzes millions of URLs to deliver the top articles that matter in near-real time to millions of users around the world. Our AI Foundation team developed state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms in the areas of search ranking, collaborative filtering, natural language processing, classification, which serves as features or fundamental machine learning models for News Ranking team, to deliver the world’s quality information to the people who need it.
- Research and core technology development for machine learning
- The ability to solve issues ranging from fundamental algorithm development, implementation and optimization to deliver product metrics
- In this position, you are expected to utilize your expertise on one or more of following R&D areas to provide cutting edge solutions or core technologies for SmartNews * recommendation systems (Ads, News, etc)
- General Machine Learning, Deep Learning
- Natural Language Processing (entity recognition, categorization, text embedding, etc)
- Computer Vision, Image Processing
- Knowledge Graph
- Recommendation, Collaborative Filtering Algorithms
- Rapid prototyping and iterating
- 2+ yrs. experience in designing and implementing machine learning algorithms, and applying them to real world problems
- Solid Machine Learning background and good understanding of certain domain of machine learning techniques, especially in natural language processing, recommendation systems, computer visions
- Good written and spoken communication skills, can work across functional teams
- Strong coding abilities in multiple programming languages (e.g. Java, C++, Python, Scala)
- MS in computer science, mathematics, physics or other quantitative fields
- Ph.D Degree in computer science, mathematics, physics or other quantitative fields
- Strong interest in news media and our mission