SmartNews is a news app with 20 million monthly active users in the U.S. and Japan. We are a machine-learning company deeply committed to helping users find quality news beyond the filter bubble.
Our algorithms evaluate tens of millions of articles, behaviors and social interactions to deliver only the most interesting and important stories on a global scale — a fascinating engineering challenge that has attracted a world-class data science and engineering team.
Join our international culture — smart work, smart people and a global mission to bring quality information to the world. Our perks include offering you a free healthy lunch, delicious coffee provided by our in-house barista, and financial support towards language-learning.
We don’t require Japanese ability, and welcome people looking to relocate to Japan.
Our response to COVID-19
Our user base is increasing quickly due to people’s interest in news (COVID and non-COVID related), and so we’re still hiring. If you’re abroad looking to relocate to Japan, we’re still interested. If you’re based in China or US, we can initially hire you with our local branches there, and then transfer you here in the future. If you’re based in another location, we’ll initially hire you as a remote contractor.
For our existing employees, in response to the situation, we’re having everyone work remotely for the time being.
About the position
- Lead our world-wide team of engineers to operational excellence. Discover modern best practices and make them available through productivity-increasing tooling
- Empower teams to provide reliable systems. Facilitate the operation of service level objectives (SLO), on-call rotations and blameless post-mortems
- Drive the construction of a multi-regional cloud-native infrastructure that delivers performance to our global user base
- Optimize the processes for trimming down infrastructure costs and tuning our fleet of instances for maximum efficiency
- Knowledge of application architectures such as: distributed systems, asynchronous processing, microservices
- Competencies in operating public cloud services using infrastructure-as-code tools like Terraform or CloudFormation
- Experience in observability for cloud-based environments, including monitoring and logging
- Middleware configuration / troubleshooting experience on Linux/Unix platforms
Preferred Skills and experience
- Experience in running a container-based application platform, based on Kubernetes and Docker
- Strong knowledge of fundamental AWS services with a certification as an AWS Associate or above
- Interest in industry best practices of Site Reliability Engineering, DevOps and the AWS Well-Architected Framework
- Hadoop ecosystem operation / troubleshooting experience
- OSS publication or contribution history