Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We're a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
About the position
As a data engineer, you will work on the design, development, and operation of the next-generation data infrastructures and data pipelines needed to utilize data in ML and BI.
- Development and operation of streaming data pipelines that use Google Cloud Platform’s (GCP) Cloud Pub/Sub, Dataflow, GCS, BigQuery, Stackdriver etc.
- Development and operation of batch data pipelines that use GCP’s Cloud Dataflow, GCS, BigQuery, Cloud Composer, etc
- At least one of the following:
- Experience developing high-volume stream data processing systems using distributed processing frameworks (Dataflow/Spark/Storm/Kafka/Flink, etc.)
- Experience developing high-throughput batch systems using workflow engines (Airflow, Luigi, Digdag, Azkaban, etc)
- A degree in computer science or a related field and over 5 years of experience with software development
- Experience developing software using Scala or Java, and Python