The Technical Support Engineering (TSE) team is part of the Engineering department and was created to investigate and solve technical issues from customers that cannot be resolved by the first-tier Customer Support team.
Investigation is the primary focus, but TSE is also expected to help improve the capability of the Customer Support team to answer simple inquiries by themselves. This help can come in the form of documenting known issues, writing customer-facing documentation or providing training. Additionally, the team can propose logging and debugging improvements to both broaden and deepen the team’s investigation capability, carry out minor coding projects to implement said improvements, contribute to product documentation, and last but not least, make product improvement suggestions based on reported customer issues.
Since the root cause of a customer issue could occur anywhere within the Autify system, TSEs are required to develop a very broad understanding of Autify’s product architecture and infrastructure so that they can make a reasonable assumption about where to start investigating before digging deeper as and when needed.
Our primary stakeholders are the Customer Support and Customer Success teams, and we hold a variety of regular sync meetings with those teams to share information about potential issues, known issues, and any current investigations that are in progress and potentially of interest.
As with the wider Engineering department, TSE uses the Scrum project management framework for its daily work. The associated Scrum ceremonies (daily stand-ups, refinements, retrospective & planning), as well as a weekly team meeting, are all held in English. Additionally, ad-hoc meetings may be held, such as for pair investigation work, and these can be done in English or Japanese depending on the preference and ability of the attending members.
Note: This role is aimed at supporting customers in the Japanese market, so you must be able to work in Japan standard time. Working hours are flexible but you must be available during the core collaboration hours of 10 am to 2 pm JST.
- Respond to technical inquiries from the Customer Support and Customer Success teams
- Work with your TSE colleagues and other Engineering teams to investigate issues, devise potential workarounds, and try to determine the root cause of those issues
- Verify and escalate product bugs to the appropriate Development team
- Propose new features and stability improvements based on the results of your investigations
- Contribute to both internal and customer-facing documentation
- Ensure efficient communication and collaboration between all the stakeholders across the escalation chain
- 3+ years of experience supporting and troubleshooting SaaS applications (experience as a developer handling technical support equivalent duties will also be considered)
- Excellent communication skills
Nice to haves
While not specifically required, tell us if you have any of the following.
- A computer science or engineering background, preferably in web application or mobile app development
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with test automation or software quality assurance - in particular, test automation frameworks such as Selenium or Appium
- Customer-facing support experience
- Japanese language skills at a level that allows for daily conversation and reading of documents
- Strong discipline in analyzing and documenting issues
- Passionate about digging deep into problems and going beyond a shallow understanding
- Skilled at isolating and determining root causes from execution logs and error information
- Able to prioritize and work to deadlines, even when the workload is high
7 to 10 million JPY annually.