JCV’s Core Infrastructure team is responsible for core systems that support our customers that use thousands of our IoT devices connected to our SaaS cloud, ranging from our real-time facial recognition services to how we store billions of messages in our datastores. The team’s central mission is to ensure JCV’s services always work — delivering a reliable, scalable infrastructure capable of supporting our distributed yet massively concurrent IoT hardware and software.
JCV wants a super technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our Core Infrastructure team to help us scale to the next level. As a critical senior member in the Core Infrastructure team, you will have significant leadership and impact on the evolution of JCV’s crucial core systems and architecture. If this sounds exciting, keep reading!
What You’ll Do
- Designing, developing, and deploying new highly available infrastructure components to meet the needs of our fast growing and evolving products.
- Scrutinizing and reasoning clearly on technology and architecture choices, identifying tradeoffs and challenges, and getting buy-in from the rest of the team.
- Deploying your own code and building your own tools to do so such as a new CI/CD pipeline.
- Joining a development team on a rotation to help them to reduce service latency and increase availability. You would participate in the 24/7 on-call rotation for that development team, triaging and addressing production issues.
- Designing a solution to build scoped permissions into the infrastructure for development teams and then roll out your implementation.
- Writing code to improve the most important services and applications which power our IoT devices and SaaS cloud platform, making them self-healing and easier to monitor.
Your Must Haves
- You have 3+ years of experience building scalable backend or real-time data systems.
- You have a proven record of building, deploying, and debugging high-scale distributed and containerized (Docker, Kubernetes) microservice systems in a modern cloud-first world (AWS, Azure, GCP), but still realize that the cloud is built on actual hardware and networks and what that entails.
- You’re a coder who knows Go, Java, Python, Rust or other similar languages.
- You’ve built production level CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins, TravisCI, Gitlab CI, CircleCI, Terraform, TeamCity, Bamboo, CodeShip, CodeFresh, etc.
- You’ve deployed production systems with datastores such Postgres, MySQL, Cassandra, and MongoDB on a cloud provider. If you’ve used AuroraDB, then that’s a huge plus.
- You know how to strike a balance between speed and quality of features to create durable technology. You follow a test-driven development methodology and thrive on building scalable systems that are robust, failure-resistant and easy to maintain.
- You’re passionate about coaching and leading other engineers.
- You’re a team player who has strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally with a can-do attitude.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them with your team.
- You’re a first principles thinker who works with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- You can think on your feet and context switch at a moment’s notice
- You keep up with the industry trends and continuously identify new technologies to leverage to solve technical problems.
Your Nice to Haves
- You have strong open-source leadership or contributions.
- You can make hard tradeoffs between important goals to get the right things built quickly without breaking things.
- You have experience with open source and managed big data services like Kafka, Spark, Flink, Cassandra/Scylla, Hadoop
- You have been a tech lead or hands-on manager at a growing startup and seen what could happen next.
- You have direct experience on a growth team.