Playco’s Game Engineers make polished, high-performance HTML5 mobile games. We are currently looking for Game Engineers to join our growing global team.
Because we do have some synchronous meetings, we’re restricting membership in our APAC team to those living within Europe and Asia. While we don’t support relocation to Japan, and so you’ll be working remotely from your own country, this is a great opportunity to get into Japan’s gaming industry.
- Design, develop, and deploy major game features from end to end.
- Be the champion for the user and have real input on the end-user product!
- Insist on the highest standards and create functional and engaging features that will delight our users.
- Be part of a tight game development team looking to iterate fast on a fun concept and then building it out.
- Be a key member of a high performing software engineering team while collaborating with design, engineering and production teams to devise optimal engineering solutions to game requirements.
- Hands on architect and coder for sophisticated client/server systems for mobile gaming.
- Innovate and iterate on process, systems and technology to deliver world-class social games.
- Be a leader; Identify and articulate technical and production risks and obstacles, as well as generate solutions.
No experience within the gaming industry is required for this position.
- 6+ years of professional software engineering experience, working on cross functional teams.
- Proven effectiveness in directing or delivering high-quality production software with at least one shipped product of which you were a primary contributor (self published products are acceptable).
- High motivation to work in the game industry backed by demonstrable games on which you were a primary contributor (self-produced work is acceptable).
- Proficient at using script debuggers like Chrome Debugger.
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithms, and data structures.
- Familiarity with git, svn or other VCS.
- Great communication skills, self starter, analytical, creative, and a strong team player.
- Residency in a location that we support (currently Australia, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Estonia, France, Germany, Iceland, India, Italy, Isle of Man, Japan, The Netherlands, Portugal, South Korea, Switzerland UAE, The UK, and Ukraine).
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Specialized skills in a particular area of game development (for example: UI, Physics, graphics, multiplayer, game logic, animation etc.).
- Both Android and iOS game development experience.
- Solid familiarity with 3rd party SDKs, analytics and A/B testing in mobile games.
- Understanding of the reactive UI paradigm and experience building UIs using reactive UI frameworks (such as React, and state management Utilities like Redux).
- Knowledgeable with what NPM components can do, and what functionality you are better off custom coding.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits that are commensurate with candidate experience, technical expertise, and cost of living in a particular market. We also offer stock options and a home office stipend.
Because of the wide range of factors, we don’t have strict salary ranges for this position, but a candidate based in Japan could expect to have an annual compensation of ¥8 - 15 million.
8 to 15 million JPY annually.