WOVN.io is a website localization service. Our users want to provide their website in multiple languages. We strive to provide the simplest and most powerful solution to our users, without compromising on features. Quality and utility are of the utmost importance to us. This means providing a top-class experience for our users that is easy to use.
A friendly and supportive environment
We’re not just passionate about hard technical ability, and put an emphasis on soft skills as well. This can be felt through small things, like saying “Good morning” to each other on Slack, or through our code review guidelines that don’t just talk about engineering considerations but also emotional ones.
We reduce scope rather than working overtime
We embrace the agile methodology scrum, using a kanban board to track tasks. While we do create estimates, we understand that it’s impossible to always create accurate estimates, and we’re comfortable with reducing scope of our sprints when this happens. We’re focused on long term productivity, and so don’t work overtime.
Great mobility from within
As a fast growing company, our team is constantly expanding. We like to promote from within, and so there will be opportunities for you to take on new responsibilities and grow your career.
A huge scale for a small team
WOVN’s backend serves hundreds of requests per second and our database contains billions of records. Thanks to using modern technology, we’ve been able to do this with a relatively small team. If you’re someone who enjoys thinking about performance, there will be plenty of interesting challenges for you.
We embrace diversity
80% of our engineers are from abroad, hailing from countries such as Russia, Guatemala, United States, Canada, Korea, Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, France, Germany, and Norway. We welcome anyone overseas looking to relocate to Japan to apply and help make our team even more culturally diverse.
Though our founders are Japanese, we’re not your typical salaryman gig. We encourage our employees to express their individuality. This can be as basic as how you dress, we don’t care if you have piercings or tattoos, and extends to encouraging everyone contributing their own viewpoints about how the business should be run and improved.
We default to English
The engineering team uses English as our common language. Being a company with many Japanese clients, much of our business staff is Japanese, though many of them are bilingual as well. As an engineer, you won’t be expected to know Japanese, though of course there’ll be opportunities if you want to use it. When necessary, we employ translation, and even have interpreters on staff that can participate in meetings.
Our response to COVID-19
While we’ve needed to adjust our business’s strategy to make the best of the COVID-19 situation, overall we haven’t been negatively effected by it, and are continuing to hire engineers.
Since March, we’ve been working completely remotely, and as part of this stopped in-person interviews in favour of online ones.
We are still hiring candidates from overseas, and will support their visa application. Until COVID-19 is settled and the border restrictions are lifted, you can begin working remotely from abroad.
About the position
We are looking for a SRE engineer who will support the infrastructure construction and operation of our multilingual platform WOVN. Successful candidates should have good communication and collaboration skills, detail-oriented, and proficient with technologies.
We count on our SRE engineers to empower our users with a rich feature set, high availability, and stellar performance level to pursue their missions. Specifically, we are searching for someone who brings fresh ideas, demonstrates a unique and informed viewpoint, and enjoys collaborating with a cross-functional team to develop real-world solutions and positive user experiences at every interaction.
- Improve system performance, reliability and maintainability of the cloud infrastructure
- Maintain and Improve development environment and release flow
- Develop and monitor environment used for failure detection and capacity planning
- Develop and utilize log collection and analysis infrastructure for data analysis
- Collaborate and involve in activities to assure knowledge development, sharing plus integration within as well as across entire work programs as suitable and lead projects.
- Provide primary operational support and engineering for multiple large distributed software applications
- Partner with development teams to improve services through rigorous testing and release procedures
- Participate in system design consulting, platform management, and capacity planning
- Create sustainable systems and services through automation and uplifts
- Balance feature development speed and reliability with well-defined service level objectives
- Design and operate security-related business
Required experience and skills
- 3+ years of cloud infrastructure construction and management (focus on AWS)
- Constructing and managing high-availability databases (Aurora, MongoDB)
- Managing reverse proxies and load balancers such as nginx and ELB, including CDNs
- Deploying a containerized environment (Docker, ECS, GKE)
- Hands-on experience with Linux server management and Shell scripting
- Software lifecycle and deployment pipeline management with Github, Gitlab, CodeDeploy, etc.
- Infrastructure automation with infrastructure-as-code with Terraform, Cloudformation, etc.
- Python, NodeJS experience for serverless code
- Infrastructure monitoring with Datadog, Prometheus, etc.
- Implementing log aggregation and search environment (Elastisearch, Logentries, Athena queries, etc.)
- Knowledge on infrastructure security
While these are not required, please tell us if you have any of the following.
- Development experience with Ruby, Vue.js
- Experience with Aurora, MongoDB, Redis, etc.
- Hands on Docker
- Intermediate level of Japanese is preferred, but not required
Development language / tools
- Server side: Ruby (Ruby on Rails),
- Frontend: Vue.js
- Database: Amazon Aurora, MongoDB
- Infrastructure: AWS (EC2, ECS, Elasticache, Elasticsearch, etc.) , Azure, GCP
- Others: Fastly, CircleCI