WOVN.io is a website localization service. Our users want to provide their website in multiple languages. We strive to provide the simplest and most powerful solution to our users, without compromising on features. Quality and utility are of the utmost importance to us. This means providing a top-class experience for our users that is easy to use.
A friendly and supportive environment
We’re not just passionate about hard technical ability, and put an emphasis on soft skills as well. This can be felt through small things, like saying “Good morning” to each other on Slack, or through our code review guidelines that don’t just talk about engineering considerations but also emotional ones.
We reduce scope rather than working overtime
We embrace the agile methodology scrum, using a kanban board to track tasks. While we do create estimates, we understand that it’s impossible to always create accurate estimates, and we’re comfortable with reducing scope of our sprints when this happens. We’re focused on long term productivity, and so don’t work overtime.
Great mobility from within
As a fast growing company, our team is constantly expanding. We like to promote from within, and so there will be opportunities for you to take on new responsibilities and grow your career.
A huge scale for a small team
WOVN’s backend serves hundreds of requests per second and our database contains billions of records. Thanks to using modern technology, we’ve been able to do this with a relatively small team. If you’re someone who enjoys thinking about performance, there will be plenty of interesting challenges for you.
We embrace diversity
80% of our engineers are from abroad, hailing from countries such as Russia, Guatemala, United States, Canada, Korea, Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, France, Germany, and Norway. We welcome anyone overseas looking to relocate to Japan to apply and help make our team even more culturally diverse.
Though our founders are Japanese, we’re not your typical salaryman gig. We encourage our employees to express their individuality. This can be as basic as how you dress, we don’t care if you have piercings or tattoos, and extends to encouraging everyone contributing their own viewpoints about how the business should be run and improved.
We default to English
The engineering team uses English as our common language. Being a company with many Japanese clients, much of our business staff is Japanese, though many of them are bilingual as well. As an engineer, you won’t be expected to know Japanese, though of course there’ll be opportunities if you want to use it. When necessary, we employ translation, and even have interpreters on staff that can participate in meetings.
Our response to COVID-19
While we’ve needed to adjust our business’s strategy to make the best of the COVID-19 situation, overall we haven’t been negatively effected by it, and are continuing to hire engineers.
Since March, we’ve been working completely remotely, and as part of this stopped in-person interviews in favour of online ones.
We are still hiring candidates from overseas, and will support their visa application. Until COVID-19 is settled and the border restrictions are lifted, you can begin working remotely from abroad.
About the position
We have just launched our own product “WOVN.app”, which enables you to multi-lingualize your mobile apps just by installing it, and we are looking for talented mobile developers who can fully commit to the development and improvement of this product! You will be in charge of developing the mobile SDK library for this product.
Your main duties will be
- General development of new features for the mobile app multilingualization service “WOVN.app”
- Mobile SDK library development (ReactNative / Android)
- Support for clients who are considering adopting “WOVN.app”
Technology Stack (WOVN.app)
Technology Stack (WOVN.io)
- Server side: Ruby (Ruby on Rails),
- Front end: Vue.js
- Database: Amazon Aurora, MongoDB, Redis
- Infrastructure: AWS
- Others: Fastly, CircleCI
- Experience developing iOS or Android apps using ReactNative
- Understanding of and interest in a multilingual environment
- This is an environment where more than half of the development team is non-Japanese. Japanese skills are not required, but we are looking for people who are not afraid of a multilingual environment and wish to improve themselves internally.
- Ability and attitude to think from the customer’s point of view, communicate directly with the customer, and proceed with the project.
While these are not required, please tell us if you have any of the following.
- Experience in mobile SDK library development
- Experience with Swift, Kotlin, Java, ReactNative
- Experience developing with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with SQL or NoSQL databases
- Understanding of CI/CD tools
- Experience building test environments for mobile apps