Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We're a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
About the position
We are looking for someone who can help with maximizing the engineering team’s output and scaling the organization.
Mercari’s mobile team is currently working on a major re-architecture of the Android/iOS apps in order to create a structure where it can conduct further large-scale development while maintaining speed and security. The team is also working on various other projects such as developing new features and improving the UX.
Maximizing engineering output and encouraging career growth through tasks such as:
- Handling goal setting and evaluations for engineer growth each quarter, in addition to holding 1-on-1 meetings for regular communication and feedback
- Considering engineers’ careers and providing them with the support needed to grow
- Assigning projects and providing communication support needed for work duties
Proposing and implementing strategies to solve problems and improve our engineering organization, such as:
- Proposing and developing new tech projects (projects by the engineering teams) with team members
- Planning and running internal events (EM Philosophy Talk, Lunch & Learn, etc.) with the aim of sharing knowledge and increasing understanding of the organization
- Participating in hiring, training, and PR activities to grow our engineering organization
- Experience developing/operating Android or iOS services
- Engineering management experience
- Project management experience
- Experience coordinating with multiple stakeholders
- English communication skills (Reading, writing, listening and speaking)