Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
On July 1, 2020, in response to the spread of COVID-19, we introduced Mercari’s New Normal Work Style Trial Guidelines, that allows employees and teams to choose when and how often they work in the office, including the option to work entirely remotely.
About the position
In order to break down the barriers that typically divide people in software development, we refer to everyone as software engineers. As a company, we believe all software engineers should use the most appropriate technology available, so we don’t limit people to particular roles or technology. This does not mean that we don’t believe in specialization, but we think that someone’s work should not be limited by their job title.
- We are looking for people that are interested in our services, mission, and values, and want to work where engineers can go bold, use the latest technology, make autonomous decisions, and take on challenges at a rapid pace.
- Developing, operating, making decisions when selecting technology, and continuous improvement of large-scale product codebases
- At least 3 years of experience in at least one of the following technical area:
- Backend: Design, development, and operation of APIs using Go, PHP, or Java
- Mobile: Development using Swift or Kotlin
- Machine Learning: ML modeling or development experience with ML systems
- Ability to design and develop with performance and scalability in mind
- Extensive knowledge of object-oriented software development, networking, memory management, and software testing
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders
- Project management and/or team leadership
- Development and operation in a microservices architecture
- Knowledge of and experience with database (RDBMS, NoSQL), network, Linux server, surveillance system, logging, SLA, SLO, and system operation
- Cloud development experience (preferably GCP or AWS)
- Understanding of UI development
- OSS contribution experience / familiarity with the OSS community