Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
Along with many other countries, Japan is expanding entry/visa restrictions in line with the WHO’s decision to declare the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic on March 11th. We are trying our best to minimize the impact, but inevitably we may be unable to continue the hiring process with every candidate at this time. Given the uncertainty of the situation, please kindly understand that we will be prioritizing local applicants (possessing valid working visas, etc.) to ensure a smooth hiring experience. Of course we are maintaining open channels of communication regarding individual cases and will monitor the situation in order to adjust our policies as circumstances change.
For more on the measures that Mercari has taken regarding COVID-19, please see this message from the CEO.
About the position
We remove the barriers that divide people involved in software development, and call all of them software engineers. Software engineers should use the most appropriate technology to create the features, so we don’t limit people’s roles to a particular technology. This does not mean that we don’t believe in specialization, but we think that someone’s role should not be limited by their job title. The role of Mercari’s software engineers is to use every tool they can to make their ideas come true.
Also, one of the software engineer roles is Tech Lead. Tech Leads commit to ensuring the engineering team’s productivity, in order to maximize the output of our projects. They are responsible for technical decision-making and for the team’s code quality.
You can see more about our engineering culture here.
If you are interested in our services, mission, and values, and want to help Mercari aim to be a place where engineers can go bold, choose the latest and best technology to use, and autonomously make decisions and take on challenges at a rapid pace, we want to hear from you!
- Experience with developing and operating large-scale products
- Ability to design and develop with performance and scalability in mind
- Extensive knowledge in object-oriented software development, networking and memory management.
- Knowledge of and experience with software test including unit testing, functional testing, e2e testing
- Experience with continuous improvement of codebases and large-scale team development
- Experience with gathering the team’s consensus and make decisions when selecting technology for large-scale development
- Experience communicating with the business side to decide technical approaches to implement ideas
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate across the team
- Experience with team development using Git or similar version management systems
- Experience with project management and/or team leadership
- Strong experience in at least one of the following:
- Design, development, and Operation of APIs using Go and PHP
- Development using Swift and Kotlin
- ML modeling or development experience with ML systems
- Experience with development and operation in a microservices architecture
- Understanding of UI development
- Knowledge of and experience with network, Linux server, surveillance system, logging, and system operation
- Knowledge of and experience with optimization of queries and data model design for the efficient usage of RDBMS and NoSQL databases.
- Cloud development experience (preferably GCP, or AWS)
- Understanding fundamental concept of cloud native application and infrastructure
- OSS contribution experience / familiar with OSS community
- Experience with system operation based on SLA and SLO
Our Ideal Candidate
- Strong understanding of the company mission and values
- Capable of taking on bold challenges and learning from mistakes
- Capable of working independently and taking initiative to lead the team to success
- Possesses a strong sense of responsibility and works hard to achieve their goals
- Capable of communicating proactively and producing output in a highly global team
The key teams are as follows. Mercari has many teams outside of these.
Mercari’s Backend Team is currently entering a major transition phase. The Mercari app has been growing at an incredible pace ever since its release and is now the largest C2C platform in Japan. The Mercari API codebase has also expanded in line with the service’s growth and the variety of challenges faced. As we anticipate our service to grow at an even greater speed in the future, we are aiming to use microservices to help achieve Mercari JP’s mission.
Mercari’s mobile team is currently working on a major re-architecture of the Android/iOS apps in order to create a structure where they can conduct further large-scale development while maintaining speed and security. The team is also working on various other projects, such as developing new features and improving the UX. The mobile team consists of members from many different countries; we hope to unlock the potential of this diverse team in order to make even greater achievements.
Machine Learning Team
We are actively utilizing advanced machine learning technologies in order to provide a more convenient, safe and fun marketplace. A Machine Learning Platform Engineer is responsible for improving and maintaining machine learning systems, architected using cloud technologies and Kubernetes.
Microservices Platform Team
Mercari’s Microservices Platform team uses Kubernetes to create microservice platforms for Mercari and its subsidiaries, such as Merpay. Your main role as an engineering manager will involve developing tools and services that will increase the development speed for Kubernetes Cluster Admin and microservices.
Mercari’s SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) team builds servers and networks for the Mercari app, automates systems, and handling outages. The team also develops and operates software to increase system performance, reliability, and scalability.