Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We're a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
About the position
The AI/ML team uses technology like artificial intelligence, machine learning, and deep learning to improve Mercari’s UX, with an emphasis on image recognition, NLP, and algorithms for recommendations. With ML engineers from a wide variety of backgrounds, the team aims to use its diversity to make even greater achievements.
One particular challenge you will take on is conducting research using data consisting of over 1 billion image and text items on Mercari. You will also conduct research and experiments at high speeds, developing an independent ML platform to allow for the release of a stable model.
- Maximizing AI/ML team members’ output and encouraging career growth
- Creating strategies for keeping up with the latest trends in AI/ML fields
- Providing communication and feedback to engineers through quarterly evaluations and goal-setting, as well as through periodic 1-on-1 meetings
- Keeping engineers’ career goals in mind and providing them with assignments that will help them achieve success
- Assigning members to projects and providing any necessary communication support
- Hiring, training, and conducting PR activities to scale the engineering team
- Professional knowledge of AI/ML (with specialization in at least one field such as image recognition or natural language processing)
- Hands-on experience with ML modeling or development experience with ML systems
- Experience as a manager for engineers or researchers