Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, Mercari began its work-from-home policy on February 19, 2020. On September 1, 2021, Mercari introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote.
About the position
Merlogi, Inc. is a Mercari Group company established on October 28, 2021, with the mission of “Relaying value far and wide for kinder living.” With our unique data and technology, we aim to provide logistics services kinder to all people involved and to society as a whole. We’re working to expand Mercari Posts and other Mercari touchpoints to more locations and build a package pickup distribution network, creating an even better experience for Mercari’s more than 20 million monthly users.
- Create and continuously improve web frontend products for business partner
- Develop and maintain the product from inception to production
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Designers, and Backend Engineers to develop the product
- Work with third-party vendors to integrate new functionality
- Depending on your motivation and ability, there are opportunities to be involved in web, backend and mobile application development, in addition to your core skills.
- Shared understanding and belief in our company’s mission and values
- Ability to use HTML and CSS to implement solid user interfaces
- Basic knowledge of performance, accessibility, and security
- Understanding of version management and ability to participate in development via Git
- Able to understand and explain web operation principles and browsers
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Extensive knowledge of standard web technologies and specialized knowledge in some areas
- Understanding of the characteristics of different libraries/frameworks and the ability to introduce them to projects where necessary
- Ability to design architecture based on the characteristics of the app
- Ability to consistently take initiative in implementing improvements to the app
- Experienced with React, Next.js, TypeScript
- Experience working for backend and mobile applications